The outlawed CPI (Maoist) has claimed that CoBRA commando Rakeshwar Singh Manhas, who went missing after the April 3 ambush in Chhattisgarhʹs Bastar region, is in captivity of ultras, and asked the state government to appoint interlocutors for his release.
The Maoist Party also admitted that four of its cadres were killed in the encounter in which 22 security personnel had lost their lives.
Constable Rakeshwar Singh Manhas of the 210th CoBRA battalion, an elite unit of CRPF, had gonemissing after the gunfight along the border of Sukma and Bijapur districts last Saturday.
The CPI (Maoist) statement also claimed that 24 security personnel were killed in the encounter.
ʹAs many as 2,000 police personnel had reached near Jiragudem village to execute a major attack (on Saturday). To thwart them, PLGA (Peoplesʹ Liberation Guerilla Army) retaliated during which 24 security personnel were killed and 31 others injured. We have caught a policeman (CoBRA commando) at the spot while others escaped,ʹ said a statement purportedly written by Maoists and being circulated on social media on Tuesday.
It said the government should first announce names of interlocutors and the jawan will be released later. He will remain safe in our captivity till then, it said.
The two-page statement was issued in the name of Vikalp, spokesperson of the Dandakaranya Special Zonal Committee (DKSZC) of Maoists, which had been instrumental in executing several deadly attacks in south Bastar, including the Jhiram valley attack in Bastar district on May 25, 2013, in which top Congress leaders of Chhattisgarh unit were killed.
Maoists admitted that four cadres were killed in the Bijapur gunfight and the body of the slain woman cadre could not be retrieved from the spot.